Achieve your goals using the Law of GOYA
Sometimes, after developing the right mindset and skillset — you might still feel unsure of what you should be doing. Understandably, ambitious goals can feel overwhelming.
This happens for two reasons:
- As John Assaraf says, the brain is often confused between having the information on how to do something and actually having done it.
- Moreover, our brain considers keeping us safe as its primary responsibility. Therefore, as far as possible — it keeps us in our comfort zone and away from perceived ‘danger’ (change).
So, here are 5 steps to simplify this process and achieve your goals based on the Law of GOYA (Get Off Your Ass Principle):
- Write down the ‘big goal’ you wish to achieve — Eg: To lose 10kgs.
- Break it down into smaller goals. If the change is smaller, your brain is less likely to perceive it as a threat . e.g., If you want to shed 10 kgs of your body weight, it’s more effective to keep your first goal as losing 2kgs!
- Choose a reward. The process becomes more fulfilling if you reward yourself after reaching each mini-goal. Also, decide on a final reward for when you’re done. This creates an incentive for you to follow through!
- Take action. After having created your plan, it’s time to ACT on it!
- Celebrate. Once you achieve your goal, follow through with that reward you’ve decided on.
- Step 6? Set your next goal!
The learnings and the feeling of having achieved your plan will be priceless, and you’d be really proud of yourself.