Planning Your Perfect Powernap
It's 2 p.m. You're exhausted. You still have hours of work remaining. Your eyes look at the clock ticking away slowly. You turn towards the coffee machine, hoping for some energy.
Well, we have an alternative, natural way for you to restore your creativity, boost your memory, and lower your blood pressure. A power nap!
Here are a few things to keep in mind when planning your perfect power nap:
- Make sure you nap before 3 p.m. Late afternoon naps are more likely to convert into a deep sleep and can also disturb your sleep cycle.
- Avoid consuming large quantities of sugar and fat before napping. This interferes with your ability to fall asleep.
- Find a clean, quiet, and cool sleeping environment. Also, keep your phone on do not disturb mode (if possible);
- Try to darken your nap pod or use eyeshades. Darkness stimulates sleep-inducing hormones.
- Use a blanket. This helps deal with the dropped body temperature when you fall asleep.
- The initial 5-10 mins after a power nap feel groggy. So, do some quick movements like jumping jacks or a brisk walk once you wake up.
- Remember, never hit the snooze button! You want to signal to your body that it's time to wake back up.
It's recommended that you nap:
- Before starting a new task— to prepare your brain absorb information
& After learning something new—to hit the save button on that information.
So there you have it, power naps unveiled for you!