Fight with your parents?
We've all been there. You said something you didn't mean to your parents out of anger. They said something back. Mutual yelling. You both walk away feeling you're absolutely right. Then, for the entire day, you feel guilty about what you said and just want to make things right!
Let's face it if your parents are in a bad mood, the whole house has a gloomy aura to it, right? Whatever the argument is, the only way to move on is to actually talk about it and resolve it! So, let's see how to start the conversation after the mini-war that unfolded.
- Give it some time. Calm down and gather your thoughts. It might be tempting to solve everything immediately, but think it through.
- Take the first step. Apologize. Even if you feel you're right, apologize for talking to them the way you did. This is crucial in order to have a sensible conversation.
- Try to understand them. Hear out their perspective and genuinely listen. Then, calmly present your point of view.
- Find the middle ground. Stand up for yourself, but also be okay with not getting your way a 100%. Compromise. eg: going to the party provided you finish your schoolwork may not be such a bad deal!
- Move on. Once you've reached a compromise, don't keep bringing it up. Remember they have your best interests at heart, and move on.
Trust me, you'll feel better once you do this. Family can be tricky sometimes, but it's family :)